Sunday 9 February 2014

The lie of the land

I love maps. I think the UK probably has one of the the most detailed mapping services in the world. Although I can't say that for certain, the Ordnance Survey organisation has certainly been carrying out detailed mapping the UK since the end of the 18th. century. Their large-scale maps are a delight (to my eye anyway) and learning to 'read' them was probably one of the most useful things I learned during my scouting, camping and hiking days. (Tying a bowline around my waist with one hand while fully clothed in a fast-flowing river comes a close second).  


Part of my map collection

Learning to decipher the wealth of signs, symbols, coloured lines and the grid system was like learning a new language. Once fluent, it provided both an exciting introduction to an area that I may be about to visit and photograph and a sense of security once there that I could orientate myself around without mishap. I was certainly grateful for my map and compass some very murky days when photographing on Cader Idris. 

Mist closing in on Cader Idris and faithful companion 'Silva' compass
Sometimes, when out photographing, you can become so absorbed in the immediate surroundings and the subject of your image making that a feeling of disorientation can creep up on you. At those times a quick look around at the wider landscape, a glance at the features on the map, quick check with the compass and all is well. 

Large scale map of Cader Idris mountain area
Despite the usefulness of SatNav and pocket GPS units, a map reveals more than just position and route. I still pore over maps for hours and days before setting out to explore, photographically, a new location. It helps me to understand not only the topography but also allows us to begin to unravel the history of the location. The juxtaposition of boundaries, streams, ancient buildings, standing stones, holy sites all combine to give an impression of a progression of life and living throughout hundreds, if not thousands of years. Such is the wealth of detail packed into a few square inches of a 1-25,000 scale map. 

It doesn't do away with the thrill of discovery at the actual location, or the excitement of the ever-changing climactic conditions. To the trained eye however it can begin to guide you to locations that appear to have the kind of topographical interest that you may be able to relate to the ideas and strategy adopted for a particular body of work. Or, you might imagine yourself living within that landscape in the past and how you might navigate yourself around it without the benefit of modern transportation. 

This last aspect is going to be useful for a new body of work in preparation which will be starting soon. It will be part of a book dealing with the landscape and archaeological past of a specific geographic area. My research for this involves looking at not only the modern maps but older ones and ones where the contemporary detail has been stripped out and it is reduced to the essentials that would have been there prior to any habitation or permanent settlement. 

So, while the weather outside continues to deny me access to this location, I will continue to trace lines on the map, scrutinise the minutiae of detail, imagine, plan and anticipate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment