Friday 28 February 2014

Wish you were here..........


I have been fortunate over many years in having the opportunity to travel to some wonderful places. Most of the travel has been work related, photographing, teaching, masterclasses, conferences or exhibitions. People often ask, because my photographs of the landscape tend towards those prosaic elements, if I enjoy or appreciate the 'grander' scenes. 
Lake Huron, Ontario, Canada.


View from the Empire State building, New York
I suppose I am lucky to be able to spend time to 'stand and stare' when I'm photographing for my exhibition work and appreciate the detail, the minutiae. Having the space and time to be able to absorb the entire experience of being in these places is important for my work. However, that does not preclude or exclude my appreciation or enjoyment of 'the moment' when I arrive at somewhere, either by design or chance that I can appreciate for its beauty or 'tourist appeal'. Having studied the landscape and its place in art history at an academic level and having made bodies of work dealing with the landscape at its place in society has not made me cynical towards other attitudes to it. Nor has it made me less appreciative of my good fortune to have the opportunity to view those visual 'icons' that for many, define the place visited. 


Traunkirchen, Austria
In many ways, I am able to separate the two very different visual experiences I encounter when I am wearing my two different 'hats' and appreciate both on their own merits. I think it would take a very tough and dispassionate kind of person to regard some of the wonderful places I have experienced with a dismissive cynicism. There is a difference between academic deconstruction and discussion of the landscape but  only regarding this as 'legitimate'. To have the ability to appreciate and understand both aspects and also to be able to contexualise these appropriately is a bonus for me. Whenever I land somewhere new I inevitably browse through the tourist shops to examine the postcards to see what is regarded as the definitive views. I suppose this combines both elements of my interest. I want to see and appreciate the classic views as much as anyone but I also want to put those elements into the context of what I have already seen and studied of that particular geographic area. 
Vermont, USA


This applies particularly to those places where I may be working.  To fully understand somewhere I am studying and representing in my own style and with my own attitudes I think that it's necessary to study the wider picture. Hopefully though, and I think I succeed in this, I can do that, then move on, make my photographs without spoiling or diluting my 'tourist' experience. What do I do with those 'tourist snaps' I take? If you have read yesterday's comments you will know - I put them in the family albums of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment