Sunday 16 March 2014

Forgery or alchemy?



Large triptychs on exhibition in Laas, Italy
When I'm deciding on the appropriate size for the exhibition prints of a particular body of work, a large number of factors come in to play. How I wish the work to be viewed is the main consideration, this can include the style of presentation too. The exhibition space obviously dictates both size and quantity and with a touring exhibition one frequently has to devise different edits for venues that may vary in size. 

Small B&W and large colour prints on exhibition, Vermont, USA.

To frame or not to frame, style of frame, are all part of the decision - making process one has to make as part of the exhibition process. 


You also have to factor in costs of course. Large prints 
cost large amounts of money. Transporting these both within the UK and abroad involves great expense and logistical problems. I have been very lucky in recent years to receive grants from numerous arts bodies and to deal with galleries that take care of all this. The financial assistance combined with prints sales has enabled me to produce prints to whatever size and style I think fits the project and gallery space. 

'Wildwood' exhibition at the Fotomuseum, Antwerp

Mostly, the logistics are taken care of by the various venues.  I have also been lucky with sponsorship from photographic companies who provided materials and equipment over the years and at one time I had a sponsored car too.




There was a time however when I wasn't as fortunate and had to count the pennies - literally. I remember as a young teenager looking longingly at packets of 10" x 8" paper in the photo shop and wishing I could afford to print to that size instead on the little 3 1/4" x 4 1/4 " paper that was all I could afford. Then I hit on a plan. Someone in the chemistry department of the university where I was working told me that used fixer - 'hypo', would turn a copper coin silver if I dropped it in. The silver that the fixer had dissolved from the exposed film or paper would deposit itself on to the coin. I tried it and it worked. It was only microns thick of course and tarnished and wore off quickly but I had already worked out how I might make a bit of money with this. 


The old pre-decimal UK penny was similar in size to the old half crown. If you are from outside the UK or too young to remember, I'm not going to go into details about the old UK pounds, shillings and pence currency. Suffice to say a half-crown was worth thirty times the old penny. Trouble was, the penny was copper and the half crown was a silver coin. Ok, you have already guessed! Armed with a silvered penny made in my darkroom I would get upstairs on the bus from Splott into town, preferably after dark when it was gloomy. The regular fare was 5d. I would proffer the silvered penny and get, most of the time, 2s 1d change. Sometimes I got a clout from the conductor but I always made sure I had enough for the fare if I got caught. A few bus journeys and I had made enough for my packets of 10" x 8" paper. Luckily I don't have to resort to such criminality today!

No comments:

Post a Comment