Wednesday 5 March 2014

Taking stock..........


I have been lucky to have earned my living from photography all my working life. Others dream of this and always have. Even all those years ago when I was working in Cardiff, there were always young people knocking on the studio door wanting a job - my job. 
Chateau Vaux Le Vicomte, Maincy, France.

Photography has always appeared on the surface to be an 'easy' way to make a living. Until, that is, the reality kicks in and it dawns on them that it's hard graft. It always has been. You also get those who don't want to commit to full time graft so think they can make a few pounds extra at the weekend. It used to be the wedding photography amateurs. The friend with a half-decent camera to do it 'on the cheap'. I suppose they are still about.
National Botanic Garden of Wales

The proliferation of cameras, phones with cameras and image sharing on the internet has seen a huge increase in the number of individuals making photographs now. No bad thing as I have always believed in photography as a democratic medium. However, alongside this is the belief that it is now easier than ever to make a living.
Snowdonia
The proliferation of images and of those making images that they think are 'saleable' has, ironically, made it even harder to earn a decent living from photography. The market is now flooded with 'stock' images that can be bought for a dollar from 'microstock' picture libraries. The amateurs of course are happy to let their images go for peanuts as it satisfies their craving to at least pretend to be professional. The actual reality of earning a living doesn't come into it.

Harlech Castle, Wales
Stock photography has never been anything like even a small part of my 'commercial' output over the years. I have, from time to time subscribed to stock picture libraries if I happen to have images from my travels that might suit. In the eighties it provided a welcome small addition to my income but I was never interested in pursuing that aspect of photographic work. I had other things to do. I admire those who do however, and there are a few who, by hard work and producing a consistently high standard of work over many years who manage to make a living. They are a tiny minority and always have been. There are many more for whom stock photography provides a part of their overall income. Even these photographers are finding that they have to be producing many more images to even maintain the same level of income year on year as prices continue to plummet. 
Mantes-la-Jolie, France
I was looking through some of my library returns from the mid 1980's and the average licence fee for one of my photographs through the library was just over £100. My share was less their 50% commission of course. Nevertheless, a worthwhile income even then. Translate those prices to today and to equal that the average sale would probably have to be triple. The reality is that it is half, or probably a lot less. Some calculations give the average income per annum from stock photographs as being a dollar for each image you may have with a library and probably dropping. To even add substantially to your income would take many thousands of images lodged with a library. Take off the costs of making special trips just for stock photography and it soon becomes uneconomic.

The chances of anyone new building up a business based just on stock photography is virtually nil. Shame really as the lifestyle appeals to many who do not wish to be tied down by commissions and deadlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment